Interns at the Peking University Australian Studies Centre are provided with the opportunity to pursue an Australia-China research project of their own design under the supervision of the BHP Billiton Chair of Australian Studies Professor Gregory McCarthy. The research project can take the form of a conference presentation, short paper, or any other form of research approved by the Chair.
Other duties of interns may include managing the social media presence of the Centre, writing news and blog content for the Centre website, planning and running the annual keynote academic conference, organising roundtable events for Australian and Chinese students and academics in Beijing, and assisting the Chair with the implementation of the Australian Studies academic curriculum at Peking University and other Centre duties.
The duration of an internship will be three months. Interns are expected to make a commitment of three days per week, with one day at the Centre itself and two days on the research project. This may also involve tutoring local Chinese students at the University. The internship is aimed at those already or about to be based in Beijing, as the Centre is unable to provide visa assistance. Interns will receive a modest monthly honorarium.
- Currently studying or recently graduated from a tertiary degree;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of an aspect of Australia-China relations
- Ability to conduct research independently and work with academics and other interns on ad-hoc projects;
- Reliable organizational skills;
- Excellent English language competency; and,
- Chinese language ability not necessary but an advantage.
How to Apply:
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and a one-page cover letter outlining your motivation for applying and a brief research project proposal. Check out ACYA’s resume guide here prior to submission.
Internships will commence/conclude in line with Peking University semester dates as follows:
Application timeline: PKU Autumn Semester 2017
- Applications open:1 June 2017
- Applications close: 30 July 2017
- Applicants notified: 10 August 2017
- Internship period: September 7 to December 4, 2017
Application timeline: PKU Spring Semester 2018
- Applications open: 1 September 2017
- Applications close: 20 November 2017
- Applicants notified: 10 December 2017
- PKU Spring Semester commences 13 February 2018 (exact date TBC)
- Internship period: February 28 – 31 May 2018
Please email your application or further queries with title: The Peking University Australian Studies Centre Internship Program to the careers team: James Tang, National Careers Director, email@example.com and Elena Gao, National Careers HR Officer firstname.lastname@example.org